Thursday, March 29, 2007

"like totally!"

Like everyone else, I have an internal voice, that is different from my spoken voice. It sounds normal and articulate like a narrator in a movie.
And then when I open my mouth, I sound like a mallrat.

My name is Charlie and I have a qualifier problem.

It's nearly impossible to have an exchange with someone without over-using "like."
I can trace this habit back to Katie Buckland in the 2nd grade. I'm sorry Katie, but you started me on it and 19 years later I still can't quit it.
This is the least of my problems.

The worst is qualifying almost every sentence by interjecting "actually" or "technically."

I call it the Ty Pennington disorder. If any reader has seen Extreme Makeover Home Edition, you will know that Ty uses too many adverbs in his sentences.
Like, "really kinda" or "like kinda really great" or "actually really bad." These sort of sentences would be marked up and down by any junior high grammar teacher.
It makes my eyes roll when I hear him say things like that, but then here I am doing the same thing!

I can't stop myself from doing it unless I speak overly carefully and sound like I have a speech problem.

So everyone, I'm sorry I talk like a big dummy.
I swear I've been to college!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

i wonder why you do what you do? hmmm...well, whatev-i kinda still think you are really pretty neato.

laura said...

ditto on that entire post.

Anonymous said...

At least your favorite verbal hangup isn't "that's so gay". I happen to sit next to a gay dude at work and I say that all the frickin' time! Frickin is also a constant in my vocabulary.