Monday, June 08, 2009

working mutha'

Today we solidified that will be doubling my work hours at WG. And I was offered 40 hrs a week, and turned that down stating that my kids are little and I can't do that much.
And I really want to do more than 10 hours of work a week, I'd really rather do 20.
20 would be ideal.
But then I would have to find Childcare, with a capital C. Which would mean the kids would be with a stranger and not a high-paid stranger at that. There's a very real possibility that that stranger would be a better caregiver than me. Who knows?

But I am considering bumping it up to 20 hours a week in a year's time. Now, whether I can call that shot, I have no idea.

And I know that if they said "if you can't do X amt of hours then we'll have to give this job to someone else," I would freak out and would make drastic choices to be able to hang on to it.

I left the conversation with "if I knew solid numbers (meaning payment) I could figure out whether I would be working just to pay for childcare."

I always feel like I'm the type of mom that should be a working mom, and this is my dream job. But all the stuff that comes with sick kids, and doing what is best for them (which for many often *is* putting them in childcare with "professionals")

Decsions...

Now I have to go make Jello Pudding with Kid C...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

anyone in your playgroup have someone you could use for childcare?...e.g., aunt or grandmother?

Samantha P.M. said...

Maybe I could nanny for you since I can't seem to find a job that can actually afford to pay me...

Mom said...

I like that you wanted solid figures! We can definitely explore your options when I come in Aug. You know God is going to set it all up Perfectly!

Unknown said...

WG is blessed to have you. We finally hired a graphics designer *almost* of your caliber at SHV out here. WHAT a huge difference. I still think you get that post-post modern thing better than most people in the collective church though.

Food for though since EK was / will be again doing the 20ish hours thing. You could think of it as a way to pay for preschool. C is almost old enough, R will be soon. Around your area Campbell Christian was the most reasonable and actually taught stuff (a LOOOOOOOOOOT of preschools teach them a letter a day and that's it. If they don't definitively answer you on curriculum, it's really daycare).

Unknown said...

working is the easy part. mothering is the hard part. go with your bad self.