Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mommy S.A.T. studyguide

I remember before I had babies, I would interact with toddlers that would gibber something and the moms would interpret it into English for me. And I thought "how did she get that from that?"

And now I have my own little "nell" and it's like breaking a Navajo code trying to understand her sometimes.

This is a sample of Baby C's dictionary:
(I have organized to emphazise minute similarities in sound)

ahaugh- n. apple, apple juice, pear

awh!- n. Olive the cat
(She always yells it, because most of the time that I say the cat's name, I'm yelling it)

bah- n. blanket, bottle

buwh- n. Big Bird, "Can I watch Sesame Street?", any bird

beaw- n. bear, or Baby Bear

beh- adj. big, n. goose

bey- ?, *undertermined*
(she says this occasionally and no one can figure out it's meaning)

dada- pr n. daddy

daw- n. dog

dawdaw- n. pl. The dogs, Franklin and Mojito

momo- pr n. Mojito

frefre- pr n. Franklin

sawbees- n. pl. strawberries

sawee- adj. sorry

taigh- v. to tie, or adj. tight
(this homonym is maddening like who's on first)

jayjay- n. Ernie, Bert, Grover, or Cookie Monster
(where this term came from, I have no idea)

jews- n. juice

jeez- n. cheese
(many times she will say jeez when she really just means food, hence, she eats alot of cheese)

fooh- n. food

frooh- n. fruit

faoh- v. to fall

muh- n. milk

moh- n. more

pawpaw- n. Grandpa, pinecone, penguin

3 comments:

Samantha said...

That posting was HILLARIOUS. I'm going to have to bring some pahpahs over for her to increase the buwh love, but I'll make sure she says beez first.

:)

pkillur said...

HAHAH, jayjay for sesame street.

That's awesome.

Our latest for Baby-M is that he'll chuck something at little-j and if he hits him he'll laugh and say "hur, hur!".

Boys...

ro said...

That is so funny. I kept laughing and shaking my head. I like the pawpaw one for all of its meanings, and that she eats a lot of jeez.