Friday, February 18, 2005

I'm not gonna even have a reason!

So Aurora does really good long posts, and Allison's makin us all feel inadequte with the fancy-fangled audio posts-- and I'm laggin. So without a plan I'm posting!
Time: 1:05
Feelin: hungry and sleepy and thirsty
Dogs: whereabouts uncertain, they're free range right now

So I had to go solo to our couples Bible study last night. When Kevin told me he had to work I immediately thought "doesn't that mean I don't have to go?" 'Have to go'! What's wrong with me?! I like going. But my instinct is exert least effort necessary. Ugh, sometimes I don't know what to do with myself.
So I go, and it's really full this week, 7 couples. I scanned the 6 new faces to see if I saw any hope of finding another weirdo like me. I have a couple of leads but nothing solid so far. I tried to make up for last weeks ugliness by staying in my work clothes and keeping my smarty-pants glasses on the whole evening. I'm not sure if I fooled anyone because as soon as it came time for me to talk I sounded like suzy-cheerleader meets Rainman.
I finally get into a Bible study with adults and it makes me realize I'm not mature. Not like I wanted to be mature. But since I can't speak eloquently about my spiritual journey off the cuff, I've concluded that I will forever express myself like a fourteen year old: talk really really fast, don't make eye contact and be awkward enough to be funny.
I think I'm okay with that. I have this innate need to be different and I'm beginning to see that's how it's manifested itself.
Not to say that I can't play the "intellectual" role. I have to pull that card at any in-law family function. If I don't sound like I just fell off the Ivy league truck, then they won't pass the potatoes to me. (the grandparents are the only exception. I like them because they e-mail and watch the daily show and they like me because I wear funny tights and tell jokes).
Oh and I also brought our wedding album last night, because they said we'd have to tell the story of our relationship. I like visuals, so that's why I brought it. 'Ended up that not only did we not have time for everyone to go, but people were like telling their stories in 5 sentences or less. So I just hid the album between the other books as to not look like a nerd. But as I was leaving one girl spotted it and wanted to see it, and then everyone looked at it. Which brings me to another of my idiosyncracies: Announcing how little I paid for stuff. Why do I do that?! Some would say "nice ____" and I would follow it by "found it ____, only paid _____!" Which is of course followed by their expression of I-didn't-need-to-know-that. Occasionally I will find a shopping-hunter like me who appreciates it, but overall I just need to start rehearsing the line: Thank you very much.

*eyecontact* Thank you very much.
Oh thank you, how nice of you to say so.*Audrey Hepburn smile*
I'm so glad you like(d) it. *hands clasped*


(oh who am I kidding? I'll be Grace Kelley when my dogs win the Iditarod!)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You posts make me feel like you are here close by. Your self-described quirkyness is nothing short of entertainment for me. I sometimes spit out prices to people too (like I keep telling everyone that my table is from an estate sale for $220 and the chairs were $20), and I also think...maybe I shouldn't have done that. I like your acknowlegement of the issue. It is the first step to rehabilitation. Keep on blogging. And, always let us know when the dogs are in "free range" mode. That makes me giggle.