Sunday, February 20, 2005

mystery!

A couple years back, Kevin and I walked into church (see link on side) one sunday and sat on the same row as this guy who was sitting by himself. He looked like he was about our age, so I said "hey kevin why don't you introduce yourself?" So he did and then I introduced myself and after service we thought we'd all get lunch. He knows this other girl we see on the way so she comes too. Very spur of the moment and I'm secretly patting myself on the back for being friendly and spontaneous. We go eat and we're not like the most alike people in the world, but hey I'm not that similar to alot of my friends. So I think Kevin and him exchange e-mail addresses and after that I think they might have once emailed each other. And after that, nothing! I'd see him, or the girl at church, and I wouldn't even get a smile.
Mystery!
Of course I think it's something I did or Kevin said to him. But insists he said nothing. So it's gotta be me! How could I have done/said something in those couple of hours to get cut off. What did I do?
I saw him this morning (I've since gleaned that he and the other girl are now an item and have been for sometime now) and I smiled and waved, hoping that time would heal whatever it is I did, but I got a big blank stare at close range!
I was discussing with Kevin, who of course could give a crap if someone doesn't like him, the odd fact that I have tried to be friendly to other guy-peers at church (I work on the technical side so there are many) and they're not very friendly to me. And I tried to draw a connection to the "mystery."
Either:
a) I am such a freak of nature, totally devoid of social skills that only nice old people will be friendly to me at church.
b) I'm such a smoldering vixen-temptress that they are afraid they will think lustful thoughts at me if they dare pay me any attention.
c) Boys aren't nice to girls, even when you're 20-somethings, unless they see you as a potential hook-up.

It's gotta be letter c! I refuse to believe I am that extreme on either side of the spectrum, although the paranoid in me leans towards letter a and the narcissist in me would love to believe letter b.

Of course it could be a mix of A and B. My "being social" somehow comes across like I'm hitting on them and they get weirded out. But hello, I got a big ol' wedding ring! Maybe I should begin with "Hi! I'm Charlie and I'm married and pregnant..."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that guys just are not inclined to hang and socialize with chicks. So, my answer is C. They only want girls that are either single or have hot single friends. If you don't qualify, then don't try to be buddies. Just let them be lame.

Unknown said...

Ammendment:
I will say that there is a certain breed of men that are not intimidated by girls...I feel like male teacher guys are pretty open to girl friendships...Scott is good at girl friendships. It is that sort of social, confident guy that can handle it.

Charlie said...

Yeah I find that to be generally true. But I once believed that I had many want-nothing-more-from-me guy friends. But now I'm wondering if that scene in When Harry Met Sally is true about how men and women can't *really* be friends.