Tuesday, January 15, 2008

death to cat!!

Comments response:
I spoke with a vet assistant way back when she first started this and she was convinced that it was because of the new addition of Baby R. Especially since his room used to be her room. She has had a year to get over it. But she hasn't.
She was a outside cat when she was taken in by the cat lady who we adopted her from, and I don't see why she can't be an outside cat again (except it sucks making sure she doesn't dart in when a door is opened).


Olive has just peed on Baby R's blanket for the THIRD time!
I suspect she is also peeing under our bed (I'm almost absolutely sure, but I haven't moved our big heavy bed to pinpoint ground zero), so I keep her out of our room at night.
But as soon as I open the door in the morning, she darts in and pees on something!

She's peed on:
the carpet (many many times)
my new leather jacket
R's blankets
a mattress (which we obviously had to throw out)
our clothes
our blankets
the beanbag (more than once)
C's blankets
...and I'm sure more things I can't remember right now.

Who will pick up a torch and pitchfork with me?!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you checked w/your vet? there may be something that can be done...
Sandi

My Mid-Afternoon Daydream said...

It's possible Olive has a bladder infection...maybe a trip to the vet would rule things out.

Or, she could be a stressed out kitty and is showing how she feels about it - you could try that 'feliway' product to calm her down (it's a thing you plug in the wall that releases a pheromone - maybe also called 'comfort zone'?).

You could also make her favorite 'pee sites' less desirable by cleaning them with something like 'kids and pets' which takes out the whatchamacallit smell that remains from urine. Then put aluminum foil or something else Olive doesn't like in those spots to redirect her away from them.

It's gross and stinky I know. Our cat Sanguine has peed on the ends of some curtains a couple of times and a rug and it was near impossible to get rid of the smell. She did it because she was annoyed with us for one thing or another. I think if you don't deal with it it can get worse :o(

Hope things get better!

KAI said...

As I sit here typing, I am smelling the odor of stale cat urine either on or near our new furniture.. and I am reminded of the fact that we finally evicted the cats to live in our backyard (in luxury..think two large dog houses with fluffy comforters), and I feel no remorse. California has perfect weather for eviction!

KAI said...

p.s. did I mention they NEVER leave the backyard??

laura said...

my sister had to evict her cats after a move & kids too. i personally don't like cats, so i'll pick up the pitchfork with you.

Heidi-Marie said...

We have two cats and have never owned a dog (though we'd like one someday), so I'd be categorized as a "cat person" but I know what it's like to want to kill them. I once had a boyfriend's jealous cat pee in my suitcase (of clean, just packed clothes) just hours before getting on a plane to Germany. This cat had also previously crawled on top of me while I was sleeping (to cuddle, I presumed at the time) and peed *on me*. When said boyfriend defended *the cat* I really should have known he was not MR. RIGHT. Huh, ya think? Death to evil cats (the nice ones can stay)!

won tong said...

believe it or not we have this book !

Unknown said...

toss her outside! Then, just throw her some mice now and then to keep her on her toes. She'll be fine. Cats always are.

Anonymous said...

Put her outside or else a "roadtrip" may be in order. Every one in a while, Tigger will go in the closed and pee in one of Rich's shoes! When it rains, she can come in, but keep her shut up in the kitchen then out she goes when the sun comes out!! Mom