Thursday, April 14, 2005

an "Emily" post

I came upon Etiqutte Hell while browsing to see if, in this barren land of rudeness known as California, any kid's manners classes are offered.
(I know, it'll be like 10 years before I have a child old enough! I was just looking)
I had hoped it would be funnier, but it's just a collection of stories people tell, I'd say gossip stories, about tacky people. However, if you click on "Holiday Hell" the first story is pretty funny. And while I can tell similiar stories about my family, this one is nice and condensed, chock full of uncomfortable moments and dysfunctional people.

Here's another good exerpt that struck a chord:
".. .my husband's oldest sister called to inform us that she was making a quilt for the baby...it came up that not only was she making a quilt, but a set of fitted sheets, a bumper pad, a diaper holder, a changing table cover, wall hangings AND a diaper bag, and wanted to know if there were any windows in the nursery so that she could make curtains, too...She just assumed it was okay for her to do this, and our job was to simply be grateful that she was taking it upon herself to decorate our baby's room. SHE had decided on a Noah's Ark theme, and was very enthusiastic about how adorable it was...It also didn't matter that Noah's Ark is the one nursery scheme that I absolutely loathe. I know a lot of people think the animals and the boat are cute and all, and I do see why, but personally, I just see it as the greatest natural disaster in the history of mankind, and have no interest in decorating my child's room with it."

I hence count my blessings.


p.s. I submitted a story for the site, namely the time that Kevin's parents said they didn't like my name! The lack of comments spurred me to take the story to the next level.

No comments: