Sunday, April 06, 2008

words learned from word racer

Kevin and I play Word Racer alot. It's like Boggle, I think.
We never come close to finding all the words there are to find in the puzzle before the cowbell clinks.
It allows you to review the words you missed and I present you with a few that I had to look up tonight, because, well you'll see.
(Click the title links for pictures)

testoon:
(actually the word was "testooned" which I found to be without definition completely. But we joked about how to use it in a sentence.)
  1. A 16th-century French silver coin.
  2. An English coin stamped with the image of Henry VIII's head. In this sense, also called tester3. [French, from Italian testone, augmentative of testa, head, from Late Latin, skull, from Latin, shell.]
ha·bu
Pronunciation: 'hä-bü
Function: noun
: a dangerously venomous pit viper of the genus Trimeresurus (T. flavoviridis) common in the Ryukyu islands

(sadly, it was not a cebu habitat, as I had hoped. In fact, cebus must beware of habus!)

Shist

  1. Shist\, Shistose \Shis*tose"\ See Shist, Schistose. (Um, didn't I just "see shist"?)
sutta
1. Hinduism Any of various aphoristic doctrinal summaries produced for memorization generally between 500 and 200 B.C. and later incorporated into Hindu literature.
2. also sut·ta (sŏŏt'ə) Buddhism A scriptural narrative, especially a text traditionally regarded as a discourse of the Buddha.
(Though this has nothing to do with Mr. Sutter, I found his biography facinating)

1 comment:

My Mid-Afternoon Daydream said...

Habu snakes...also very common in Okinawa where my parents live. Their dog was bitten twice in one year and barely lived through it all - most animals don't survive a habu bite (nor do small children - yikes!). If you're in the airport at Okinawa (and maybe other Asian stops) you can find little habu snakes in liquor bottles for sale in the gift shops - mmmm...not so much.