Sunday, October 29, 2006

what is the matter with people?

I'll be frank, if you like scary movies, I judge you. I think you have some kind of sociopathic problem that human suffering and gore entertains you.


Why do people see those movies?! They make so much money!



The post-modern side of me asks "what is the difference between me liking Poe or Shelley and other people liking House of Wax?' I'm going to be a snob and say "scary" things that I like are written as a social commentary and those crappy movies are made to show some desperate actress's boobs and exploit young people's unhealthy facination with evil.



In fact, As a Christian, I wouldn't participate in a protest over abortion or gay marriage, but I might hold a picket sign that says "No more horror movies!"

And "haunted houses," I don't get those either, although that's a totally different category. Like Aurora, I don't like being scared. I think my imagination is too big. I may have seen 6 scenes from various horror movies in my entire life and I can clearly recount them all.

And Mom, I'm still scarred from you making me watch the Creepshow movies. Scarred! Child abuse!
(ok, ok not child abuse, but was I not the fearful/paranoid/overreactive child?)

This now concludes my official Halloween blog post.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to wholeheartedly agree. I kinda hate Halloween. Completely "evil-centric" aside, it's just really annoying to put so much effort into being someone else for one night of a crappy party. Seriously, I spend 364.9 days trying to be myself, why spend time trying to NOT be myself, you know?

That being said, are you guys going to harvest festival? :)

Charlie said...

I am going. I'm going as a pink pregnant cheetah in a trenchcoat. I'll be facepainting all night, folks!

Anonymous said...

I like scary movies, but don't care for the ones that are gory just for the sake of it; i.e., Hostel. I never saw that movie just cos it seems to me it was just made to be gory. I watched the first Saw, but not the 2nd or 3rd.
Now, I do like Blair Witch (only the 1st one, never saw the 2nd), 28 Days Later, Event Horizon, original Amityville Horror, The Grudge, Exorcism of Emily Rose, the original Omen, the original Psycho, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, and Deadly Blessings (only cos I was actually in this movie).

Anonymous said...

Those are just a few scary movies I like. I am not going to list them all, nor could I even remember all of them.

Charlie said...

yep, you just got judged.

G$ said...

Oh Brother!! Are you saying that watching Stephen King play a "hayseed" that finds a meteor and then becomes covered in grass was too traumatic?? Creepshow is more comic-book scary than chainsaw masacre scary. I agree though with the no-likey all the gross mutilation now call scary. I'll stick with happy endings thank you!