Saturday, December 02, 2006

they keep coming back!

Yesterday marked the third visit from Jehovah's Witnesses to our house.
This was the first time I actually spoke with them.
I was all ready to rebutt them a few months ago, but I've since forgotten all my good points, and it ruined my day.
I feel like a failure. I'm supposed to know why they're wrong and tell them, but I couldn't remember. So I was just deadpan and disinterested like probably everyone else they pounce on.



On the upside, they revealed that our neighbor across the street is a J.W.
We were convinced was in some sort of strange religous organization, but we didn't know which. People in suits showing up all the time, by the dozen. Very curious.

And my one glimmer of success with that woman on my porch, was that she had prepared this whole speech for me, with the idea that I was an evolutionist. Why would she think that, you're wondering? I had set out an old double tape deck of ours on our curb in a "free" pile and left a creation vs evolution seminar tape in it, and I guess she picked it up.
She confessed that she hadn't listened to it, for if she had, she would have known it was recorded at a Intelligent Design conference I had attended a few years ago. But she saw the word "evolution" and went off.
It didn't matter that I told her I believed in Intelligent Design, Christ and the Bible as the word of God. She just kept going on as if I hadn't said anything, and that three dogs and baby weren't freaking out in the background.

I'm sure they'll come back since I didn't threaten to shoot them. I'll try to be ready next time.
(Ugh, I hate arguing. Why can't they just figure it out on their own?)

3 comments:

laura said...

i made my neighbor take care of them when they were bugging me. never accept an issue of the watchtower...we made that mistake being "nice" and they stalked me for months!

Anonymous said...

hello

i'm brandon. i'm a jw. i read 'all your good points' and its nothing i haven't come across before. might i clarify some things for you, now that you can prepare what you'd like to say? anything you'd like to ask?

Charlie said...

geez, are y'all combing the blogs for people mentioning Jehovah's Witnesses?

Email me.
deigloriam@hotmail.com

Nothing I love more than arguing...wait, no, not true.