Tuesday, February 28, 2006

the burdensome magic of music

The iPod shuffle came in the mail today.
Hooray!
Now I must finish the task of converting all of our CD's into MP3's. This task started long long ago. But we have lots of CD's. Lots. Most of them are crap, with one or two good songs on them. I believe the iPod will remedy that problem. But before the cure can work, the drawn out sting of importing songs must occur.
As I'm importing these songs I think "how magical it is that I can listen to complicated pieces of music that many people collaborated on writing, playing and producing, through tiny microchips wrapped in plastic half the size of my cellphone." I will try never to take that for granted. What a wonderful civilization.
I just bought the MP3 version of Rhett Miller's new album today. It convinced me that I should not give in to cutting Kevin's hair or his likeness to Rhett will be severely diminished.

How happy would I be if he would wear a purple velvet suit like that, I ask you? Very, that's the answer. Very.
I learned about his new album through his MySpace bulletin to me. I'm his friend, you know. He sends me messages.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Would you REALLY want Kevin to wear a purple velvet suit? Let's ponder that. I remember when YOU wore a purple velvet suit...and I liked it.

Sam said...

So are you gonna have like an AMAZING trip to Rasputins or something to sell your CDs back to enjoy the 10 for $10 game?

Charlie said...

No, because I'm only recording the good songs off the CD's and I like to have the cases and liner notes, etc.

Charlie said...

And yes, I would want him to wear the purple suit, but I don't think he'd like the attention it got him. From the way I dress him ordinarily, they already call him "rock star" at work. :D