Saturday, June 24, 2006

the hard sell heebie jeebies

I hate when anyone tries to sell me something directly. I'm an american and I like to sit back and make up my mind about things, at my leisure.

This is why I will never ever ever buy a car off a dealer alone. In fact, I plan to have a negotiator that I will be in contact over walkie talkie, if a car purchase becomes necessary.
Watching King of Cars only solidifies this trepidation of mine. Bottom line, they want your money. They're getting you coffee because they ant your money. They're remembering your name because they want your money. It's sick, but I love watching it all.

Anyone who comes the door, no matter how much I might need what you're selling, I'm going to say no and shut the door in your face (beware cult members, this goes for you too).

I go into Target yesterday and as I'm standing in line I hear the barely-out-of-high-school checker in the line beside me try hard to sell the woman a Target card. I thought "oh he's new they must have told him to push it." I get up to my checker and the first thing she says to me is some silly sleeze line like "I'm gonna make you a great offer, are you interested?"
[[[alarm bells]]]
"what's that?" I say
And she proceeds with her spiel about the Target credit card, but all I hear is "I get a commission for every person I sign up. I'm hoping you're a big dumbass and bite the hook."
She keeps it up the whole time she's scanning my items "10% this, 10% that..."
I of course put it off on K like he's some kind of terrible overlord and say "my husband would kill me, we only have one credit card, on purpose."
(That is kinda true he wouldn't be happy about it, but no one's more anti-credit card than me. They scare me.)
She finishes scanning and says in a tone like I'm giving away a winning lotto ticket to a bum on the street "you could have saved $13.00 just now."
$13.00!! Oh my gosh, are you serious?! $13.00?! Holy Mary and Joseph, sign me up!

Don't sell to me!



The only thing that would make this pyramid scarier, is if it had a mummy in it.

4 comments:

laura said...

when i hear a sale coming, i quickly get my evil eye going. :)

Anonymous said...

Salespeople get a bad rap...

They're like lawyers: The really good ones make a lot of money and aren't too annoying. But there are a lot of crappy ones that screw it up for the rest of them. You never want to see one, however, I'd bet 50 grand you'd be the first one to call them if you needed a product moved.

However, I agree with you, credit cards are a bad bad thing....

Charlie said...

"Product moved?" Like if I manufactured corn flakes and wanted them in the grocery stores?
Yeah, like big business sales is like a whole other thing to me. It's scary in another way. In a Glen Gary Glen Ross way of high stress and chain smoking.
But really, I wouldn't manufacture corn flakes and I wouldn't own a company, that's just not the way God made me.
I'm a daisy picker.

G$ said...

Next time you get the Target pitch, simply reply that the finance charges outweight any savings benefit. The 10% is only good on your first purchase- duh. Or you could be a total hag and reply that wealthy people don't have to charge and throw in a hmmph noise to boot!