Friday, June 23, 2006

I made it though with my cool completely in tact

I needed to go to Safeway to get a few things. Cricket was due for a nap, but I was gonna make it fast, becuase I didn't want to get out again.

I step into a Safeway I rarely go to. It's like a mini grocery store. I didn't want to get a basket because I had her in the stroller. "I'm just getting some fruit and formula," I thought, I'll just carry it in my hands. That was working fine. I gave her a bag of Fuji's to play with to keep her happy until she dropped it on the floor. "Okay, here have some nectarines." And rolling along we went down another aisle.

"Crap, I need baby food too."
I used the canopy of her umbrella stoller to hold the produce bags while I held the can of formula and the jars of baby food in my hands whileI pushed the stroller.
People that passed me in the store kinda gave me looks, but since I've had the pink hair, nobody smiles at me anymore. Oh well.

I get to the front of the store and there are two lanes open with about 4 people in each one.
"Oh no, it's lunch time, bad time to shop!"

I seriously considered leaving all the stuff on the Kodak counter and exiting the store right then. But there was rumor of another checkstand opening and I had bagged the fruit, I would feel terrible leaving it there.
"We'll wait it out."

Of course as the other lane opens up, some carts from my lane go thataway.
As I'm stepping up in line this little old lady gets in front of me. I fought my first instinct to make a face at her. But she was so old and she had like a box of gingersnaps and a beet in her cart, who cares.

Cricket still had the bag of nectarines in her grasp when I got up to the conveyor belt. I picked them out of her hands only to find that she had been gnawing on them through the plastic. She had practically eaten half of one and probably a little film as well. Nice.
That's probably why I was getting weird looks.

I swiped my card, I signed the screen, and then it went blank.

"Did you hit OK?" the frantic checker asked me.
"Yeah it just went blank, " I said wideeyed.

"Okay, it froze it'll be a few minutes."
It's my static field! I break all computers with my static field! I thought
As she's rebooting, I look behind me and there's a long line of people, probably on their lunch break looking expectantly at me.

And then the baby starts crying.

The little trooper had done pretty good so far, so even if she freaked out at that point I couldn't blame her. I tried to entertain her with my keys while about 3 minutes passed until she could finally give me my receipt and use the checkstand again.

I try very hard not to get crazy-chicken when I'm out with the baby. Because it makes me tense when I see other moms making the "I'm so stressed out" face. Plus, after the plane ride to TX, nothing phases me. :)

2 comments:

laura said...

we try to pick "perfect" times to take n places, but it doesn't always work out...so far, he hasn't had a MAJOR melt down in public, but he's only 4+ months...i'm sure it's coming.

G$ said...

Way to stay cool, Charlie! Stand tall with your pink hair blowing in the wind. Save freak-outs for big stuff, otherwise you'll lose your mind before she's 3!!