Monday, June 26, 2006

I'm here because the world needs to suck less

There's a pool in our neighborhood with a terrible sign.
Terrible.
The place is a little run down, nothing's been changed since they built it in the 60's. I went there last year to see if I could swim there and a bitter teen behind the counter told me that they only sell "family passes" for the entire summer and they cost $400.00.
Uh okay, weirdos. See ya.

But that darn sign, I have to keep looking at it when I drive around. The peeling camp-green paint, the howdy doody lettering.
Isn't somebody going to do something about it?!

I decided, if it's got to be, it's got to be me. Or however that phrase goes.

I casually strolled by a few weeks ago with the baby and the dogs, armed with a tape measure to get the dimensions of the ugly sign. And then I proceeded to design and execute the cool pool sign, that would fit exactly over it. Roughly 3 x 6 feet.

I finally finished a couple of days ago. I'll be honest with you, up close, there are lots of oopses, but from the street, it'll be brilliant.

I was going to arrange to meet the person to owns/manages the place and give it to him/her but when I call, there's just an answering machine.

So this morning we all loaded up in the car and took it over there. No one was working the counter, just a person giving swim lessons, so I left it there with a note.

When I drove back by an hour later, I could see there was a little crowd around looking at it.
(yay!)


This is pretty close to what it ended up looking like (the tan color represents wood grain). Except the "swim center" was in black.
I hope they hang it. Gosh, they'd better hang it.

4 comments:

G$ said...

Wow Charlie! You definitely inspire me to quit bitching and get off my butt!! Yeah for the movers and shakers of this world. The sign looks great. I would hope the owner would find you(if you left a #) and pay you for your services. I know, you didn't do it for the money, but hey, artists should be paid for the wonderful talents that brighten our world. Hooray for Charlie! Hip Hip Hooray!!!

G$ said...

How about a "family pool pass" for the summer in lieu of pay? hmmmmm?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, they should give you a free pass or crazy discount, because signs are expensive!

Molly said...

wow!

That is pretty impressive. Good for you!

Did they hang it?