Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Casa de Fritos and Captain EO, sounds like fun




As I was surfing the web and learning about Googie architecture, I came across the "House of the Future" otherwise known as the "Monsanto House."
I thought it was cool until that whole Monsanto business came up...jerks.

Anyway, I found a groovy site called Yesterland.

If any of you remember the rocket jets, the people movers, or the Swiss Family Treehouse, sniff, you'll appreciate this site.

And it's the future already, where's my future-house?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ok, so this site is not so groovy! i'm pissed that so many of my childhood memories have been "removed!"

Damn, 21st century theme parks.

won tong said...

WOW THAT WAS A TRIP....WAIT TIL GEORGE SEE'S IT AND THE KIDS...ONE OF MY FIRST STOPS WAS FOR A GLASS OF SUNKIST FRESH O.J. MAN WAS THAT AWESOME..TASTED ALMOST LIKE AN ORANGE JULIOUS..THATS GONE NOW THERE'S A BARBECUE JOINT..I JUST COULDN'T QUIT READING I'VE BEEN SITTING HERE FOR AT LEAST 45 MINS.. THANKS FOR THIS LINK

Anonymous said...

Haha, the monsanto house is a trainwreck! I vividly remember touring the original it was copied from (or so goes the legend) back in the day (it was like right off of highway 25 outside of Denver in Genesee, CO). However, the O was made out of stucco and had this janky elevator. It was a POS man, you lost SO much space because stuff couldn't be mounted on wall or put against them (I.E. sofas, chairs, etc). And God Forbid if you wanted to put a picture on the wall.

Anonymous said...

Quick ammendments - it was i-70, not i-25...

And, it proves that it was an urban legend that this was the original, as the house was built in the 60's, after the HOF:

http://www.cohomefinder.com/p/80401/61704.htm

Unknown said...

FOr a minute there, I thought Yesterland was going to be like Leisure World here in the OC.

But it isn't.

Anonymous said...

That is a great site, always go there for a little bit of nostalgia.

Of course for new stuff, my wife and I like miceage.com.