Tuesday, March 07, 2006

how did I get here?


I'm sure anyone past the age of twelve thinks to themselves at different points in their life: "wow, I'm ___[years old]."
I've done it before and now that I'm 25 I'm thinking it.
25 = adult.
When you're 21 (the customary age of adulthood), people generally still think you're an overgrown teenager and probably still live with your parents, which is socially acceptable to most people.
But at 25, you better have your s*** together, and be doin' something with your life.
At 25 you're rarely mistaken for under age and juniors clothes start to look a little absurd.

I took this photo of myself today and thought "I look like an adult."
I look like someone I would have been intimidated by when I was a kid.

I do adult things--
I order cuts of meat from the butcher and look him in the eye.
I call plumbers for gas line relocation estimates.
I cook cornish game hens.
I go to the pediatrican, and I'm not the patient.
I sign mortgage checks.
I am a member of our church.
I go to dinner parties where people eat off real plates and talk about time-shares.

It's all very strange.
I interact with people like I'm standing in my underwear. Like they'll know I'm just faking it and I'm really just fifteen.

I'm accepting it because time is a force not to be toyed with. Anyone who's seen Back to the Future, knows that. Oh no, I bet there's a generation now that hasn't seen it!

Don't get me wrong, I love my life. Love it.
It's the being a grown-up thing that is squidgy to me.
Good thing I still have my freckles.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah, you're old. ha.

won tong said...

YA KNOW CHARLIE WE LOOK ALIKE AND THINK ALIKE I AM IN AWE OF IT..PEOPLE SAY I LOOK MORE LIKE PATRICIA WHEN I SEE I LOOK ALOT LIKE YOUR MOM AND YOU ...YOU THINK I'M NUTS BUT THIS IS VERY TRUE. YOU PUT DIFFRENT WIGS ON ME AND THE FACE IS THE SAME.. YOU HAVE MY HAZEL EYES AND YOUR GRANDMA GUYNES...YOU HAVE GWYNN'S ALMIGHTY POUT LIP LOOK AND SO DOES SCOUT.. CRACKS ME UP! I DID REALLY GET ALOT OUT OF THIS YOUR SO SMART AND ABLE TO WRITE IT DOWN..LOVE TO YOUR FAMILY AND GOD BLESS..

laura said...

i think the same about myself. i am such a "pretend" adult. i felt it when we realized that 1990 is now considered retro and it was 16 years ago...damn. you're right though, gotta just go with it. i kinda enjoy the farce.

Anonymous said...

One minuet your mom is yelling at you to clean your room and next thing you know, your yelling for your kid to clean up theirs!! How did it happen? Just don't get too serious, you're 25, not 45. Enjoy each day with the Cricket 'cause they sneak up on you and next thing you know, you could be called Granny-C!!! Scary. Love,Mom

Anonymous said...

I love that pic of you - I think you look stunning! I'm even older than you. It's good - oldness is fun ;)