Sunday, March 12, 2006

snow 2nd Edition



It snowed in the mountains surrounding our scenic San Francisco Bay area this weekend. For the last two weeks, we here in the valley could see the snow on what are known as the "east hills" and we tried to go see it last weekend and the weekend before that. The first time we tried, they closed the road, and the second time we were too late and it had already melted.
But this time it really really snowed!

After church this morning, I drove up into the mountains via Highway 17 with the baby (and Chris Rice ;) ). I usually try to keep deep thoughts to myself, but it was a majestic drive and all of nature seemed more dramatic, low clouds/fog, and at that magical elevation point, there was snow. I took Summit Road off the highway, which is a large road for a mountain road, but it's more like a generous one-lane road than an adequate two-lane, to venture further into the winterland.

It was on Summit that I found the snowmen being built and the very unhappy snow-laden llamas. I had so much fun, just me, my car, sleeping baby, music and the snow.

I turned on a road that told me it would take me back towards the valley and I slid off into a little ditch. I was a little alarmed, but definitely not frantic. I just didn't want someone to come along and push me off the cliff. A teenager, a snowboarder I'm guessing, was nice enough to stop and help guide me out. I actually could have done it myself, but that guy made me feel better.
We made it safely back to the house where we met up with the husband. Since we had been on wild snow chases twice before, he was hesitant to drive into the mountains again, but obviously from the video, he agreed to go back up there with me.

That's where we took these photos of the snowmen and the llamas.




2 comments:

laura said...

is that your snowman? and are those your llamas? we need the story.

Unknown said...

Your video is funny because you did a baby/camera swap mid take. Cricket looked like she enjoyed the snowy fun.