Sunday, March 26, 2006

It was a good weekend at sea


Alright, we didn't sail anywhere, but I did see the sea, if the bay counts.
We visited the spankin' new DeYoung Museum to view the Arts and Crafts exhibit and incidentally a strange art flower competition.
(We were pleased to see many other hip families with babies there too)
If the art and flowers weren't enough to entertain, there was people watching galore.

It's also Pile Week! I posted about it last year, but this year's highlights include the following wax and wane of public goods:
+I picked up a glassless curio cabinet from a neighboring house. I refer to them as the cupcake neighbors, because when we got married, they brought us chocolate cupcakes and said our yard looked nice.
+I also snagged a little nightstand from a house around the corner so stealthily that the family in the garage didn't even notice. It has the same motif as my parents' bedroom suite from 1986, but the qualities I seek in a pile-swag are cleanliness and sturdiness, not beauty. New paint can absolve most style sins.
-We rid ourelves of plenty of crapola, for which I'm unsure whether I should be proud or ashamed. Roll call- tacky fireplace facade, rusted mountain bike, spent florescent light tubes, broken dishwasher, torchiere lamps (which a nice couple drove up and ganked soon after I put them out)sliding doors from the pre-construction closet and other unwanted sundries.
I just love Pile Week, it brings the community together, binding us by our cheapness and love for the hunt.

We were also little ziggy piggies this weekend.
We ordered pizza (that is always a thrill for me: make a call and a man will bring food to your door!), I grilled steaks, and we ate Mexican food from our favrorite place. I love food.

And right now Kevin and I are playing Yahoo Games' version of Scrabble and as always Kevin keeps beating me, but last game I used the word "POOP" twice, and that was a victory in itself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you've let out Santa Clara's secret (A Clean-Up Campaign map is no longer available on the website due to concern that it is contributing to illegal dumping during the campaign by non-residents of Santa Clara.) I will be by soon w/my junk!
--Sandi

Sam said...

Poop twice?!!? That's fantastic. I love pile week! I'm totally going shopping there/dumping there!