Tuesday, April 04, 2006

is this why people snap?

The other day I had an independent thought.
I realized that I carry a marginal amount of guilt around all the time about the stuff I should be doing. And then I further realized how stressful my life would be if I did all the things I'm supposed to do.

On any given morning I should:
brush teeth, min 2 minutes
floss, 2 minutes
read Bible, 30 minutes
pray, 15 minutes
workout, 15 min prep, 1 hour exercise, 15 stretch
take shower, 15 minutes
blow dry hair and style, 30 minutes
make-up, 5 minutes
prepare nutritious breakfast and eat at normal pace, 45 minutes


That's FOUR hours of shoulds! That doesn't take into consideration the morning needs of pets, husband and baby, which are not standardized-shoulds.
I know someone who reads this is pretty close to doing that every morning. Fess up if it's you, and then go relax.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wow. no wonder i don't do most of that. very well documented "shoulds."

Anonymous said...

I think these are worst-case numbers.

Knock down the prep and stretch to 5 minutes. Exercise just needs to be 20 minutes 3 times a week. Averge that out over 7 days, that's less than 10 minutes a day. We'll round it up to 10.

30 minutes to dry and style hair? can we do it in 20? yes? good.

i bet you can prep and eat a nice breakfast in 20 minutes. Nutritious isn't the same as fancy. No eating fancy food if i'm not around! :)

so what are we down to? 2 hours, 9 minutes? no problem!

laura said...

i agree with kevin. no need for all of that exercising or making yourself pretty...you're already skinny and beautiful! :)

Unknown said...

Nobody does all their shoulds except Martha Stewart.