Sunday, April 02, 2006

keep talking, I'm listening


The entire family, dogs included, cat excluded, drove up to the Toyota dealership to help the father-in-law pick out interior trim color for his new Prius. While we were trying to find each other we noticed a very bright blue SUV that we'd never seen before. I liked it, but then we had other business to take care of so we couldn't look very closely.
After we got home with our NEW used dining room set (!), we checked the net to see what it had to say about the FJ Cruiser.
I've always liked the old Land Cruisers from the 70's. In fact, my dream car, the late 60's Ford Bronco is kinda similar. (I saw one for sale the other day, and I saved the number on the winshield to my cell phone, just to feel like I was close to having one).
Anyway, we think we like the FJ. We had planned on buying a Honda Element in the next couple of years, but it really bothered me that it only seats four. This would get in the way of my other dream of adopting a third child (third to the second who is yet to exist). The FJ seats 5! And it can be hosed out and abused just like Element. But it's gas milage isn't as good, although not Hummer or Suburban bad milage. It's a tad more expensive and my biggest fear is looking like a balla'. I don't want to drive an evil SUV, I want to drive a nice and friendly SUV.

What do y'all think?

12 comments:

Sam said...

I just read an article that Toyota is planning on converting ALL of their vehicles to hybrids by 2012...you could always wait :D

Anonymous said...

I think you should drive an evil SUV. And take the muffler off too :)

At 18/22, you could pay the same amount and get a Hemi durango SLT leather with 1/1.5 less on the MPG, and have cleaner exhaust because hemis work more on a detonation than a flamefront basis (hence the hemispherical shape to prevent blowing up the block).

But, I'm a dodge guy. And I like my 7 seats, because kids want to bring friends places...

laura said...

what's a balla'?

Charlie said...

#1. I can't wait 5 years to have A/C and a car that will fit 2 carseats.
#2. Dodge offends my aesthetic. And they plainly said "we design for men."
#3 Click for informal dissertation on what a balla' is

Charlie said...

Wow, my above comment seemed really terse. That's not the way I meant it. I should have ended with a smiley!

Anonymous said...

Greetings! I just wanted you to know that I purchased an FJ on Saturday, and I couldn't be happier. However, the back seat really isn't much. I don't have kids, so it isn't a concern for me, but kids over the age of 8 will start having difficulty sitting in the back seat for long stretches of time. They do have a cool integrated child safety seat locking mechanism. Please note, no more than 3 adults will fit in this vehicle as the back seat is too small.

That being said, the truck runs amazingly well and the turning radius is incredible! Many great features including sensored airbag deployment and cool 6 disc CD changer in the front dash. I wouldn't recommend for a large family, but I would recommend as a very capable vehicle.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

No offense taken, but food for thought:

My girly girl wife loves the 'rango :)

But then again she loves knowing that she could drive up the roof of the church should she want to (which she never would and would make me do anyhow) but likes the option :)

Anonymous said...

PK, you might need to be able to drive up the roof when construction starts, so better practice before you try it.

Unknown said...

Looks RAD.
You are young! Do what you want! Don't let small back seats or ballas break your stride.

Anonymous said...

I love the dining set... and I'm sure the seats will look beautiful when you get through with them..

Cricket is the real beauty!! She's just sooooo cute, Charlie!

Anonymous said...

Recently saw an article on a company that refurbishes 60's & 70's model Toyota Land Cruisers to a like-new condition. $30,000 already done. This news flash is from Richie-Rich. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

The website for the old LandCruisers is vintageoffroad.com
Richie Rich