Sunday, September 21, 2008

the multiple-meet frustration

Have you ever met someone only to have to reintroduce yourself to them over and over again?

Some people I don't expect to remember me. Basically if you're over the age of say, 45, I don't expect I'm very important or relevant to your life. In fact, when "older" people remember my name, I'm flattered.

But people who are my peers who don't remember me over and over and over again, I want to kick them in the shins. And then once I have re-met them, they continue to look right past me.

This means I have an ego problem. Yes, I guess I do.

And I know I have done the multiple meet to other people, but as soon as I realize it, I nearly grovel at their feet and try to instantly tell them how memorable they are and how stupid I am.
This I believe makes up for it.
The people that I continue to be annoyed with don't apologize, they are like "oh, uh huh yeah, um anyway what was I talking about? Oh hey Muffy!..."

2 comments:

sarah said...

i know the feeling on this one. I have sadly, met some people over and over at Vintage and feel horrible. I too, grovel at their feet and beg for forgiveness.

You though, Charlie, are memorable. Anyone who doesn't remember you the first time, probably dropped too much acid or was dropped as a baby. Especially if they are young.

Anonymous said...

People who don't remember you guys are strange.

I never have the oh "have I met you before" problem, as strengthsfinder says "woo" is one of my highest strenghts. What I often do is re-introduce other people to other people multiple times. For instance, I kept introducing my mentee (menty? What is the opposite of a mentor??) to my mom. Like 10 times.