Thursday, December 15, 2005

and another thing-

I don't get

Wine.
This makes me as much of a loser here in northern California as not appreciating beer does in Texas.
wine clubs
wine tasting
wine tours
sommeliers
(There's a school around here that will train you just to become a sommelier.)
Not fun for me.
When we toured a vinyard in Tuscany I felt like I was the wrong person to be taking the tour.I wanted to hear more about the history of the building.
Most of the reason I liked the movie Sideways is because it showed how silly the wine world is.
The closest thing to wine conoissseur-ing I can get on board with is Coca Cola's of the world. I like tasting different coke recipes in other countries.

"I'm not drinking any f'ing merlot!" -Miles from Sideways

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not understand the whole wine thing either. I can enjoy a good beer. But I have no clue about wines, and have no interest in learning.

Unknown said...

I saw the funniest cartoon yesterday! It was these two people sitting at a table, looking at menus, and the guy says, "I want a chardonnay, but I like saying 'pinot grigio'." Which made me laugh and laugh, cos that's pretty much how I pick wine -- either because I like the name or because it has a cool lable.

laura said...

we went to the 'vinyard' at disneyland a couple of years ago and had a great time laughing about how they acted like the sommolier (sp?) was like a rocket scientist...they are so impressed with themselves that they can "taste" wine.

one of the employees (a NON-sommolier) asked the group what people were "smelling"...you could hear crickets.

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you thank you!

One of the guys I play poker with from EK's Las Madres group always says that but never knows what movie it's from. I'm going to buy it for him for Chirstmas in hopes that he stops saying that everytime he wants a beer. It's annoyingly endearing. Maybe I won't buy the movie for him, is it good???

Unknown said...

Wine, Beer, Coffee...in my opinion are all aquired tastes. You gotta want ti drink 'em. Baby steps. I used to have no vices; no chains on me if you will. But, with much perseverance and will power I've been able to aquire a taste for all three of these lovely sinful beverages.