Wednesday, December 14, 2005

ding ding ding

From 7 Deadly Holiday Money Sins by MP Dunleavey:

Guilt
Researchers are still carbon-dating early shopping samples to figure out how and when the link between guilt and gift-giving first dominated the lives of prehistoric hominids.

When they do, I hope they call me, because that nagging sense of obligation can take many forms -- and probably drives more unnecessary holiday spending than any other emotion. Witness the fractured logic:

* If I spend $50 on my sister and $75 on my brother, will my sister magically find out -- and hate me?
* Since Sally gave me a gift last year, should I get her a bigger one this year to make up for the fact that I forgot about her last year?
* If I get my secretary a little gift, I'd better get a little something for the guy who fills in at lunch -- and the intern who sits next to him -- and . . .


I'm not alone.

1 comment:

won tong said...

hiya charlie.. hey if you haven't already read this chap. i think you may like it..it has stuck with me forever about giving gifts etc . for christmas.. i'm sure the book would be in the church library. it's called "THE JOYFUL CHRISTIAN" BY C.S. LEWIS AND THE CHAP. IS CHRISTMAS VS. X-MAS.. CHECK IT OUT WHEN YA CAN.. I LOVE IT.. I ALSO LIKE THE CHAP. INTERCOURSE IN THE AFTERLIFE AND USED IT AS AN ANALOGY MANY TIMES TO EXPLAIN HEAVEN.. WHILE I'M HERE THIS IS OFF THE SUBJECT BUT I WATCHED MONTEL YESTERDAY ABOUT CHILDREN WHO HAD AN ATTEMP ABDUCTION FROM 5 YRS OLD TO 9 APROX.OR OLDER AND HOW THEY ESCAPED.. I TOOK DOWN THE LINK TO TEACH OUR KIDS PROCEEDURE AND PRACTICE DIFFRENT MOVES.. I'LL GIVE YA THE LINK TO CHECK OUT PLUS I MAY STILL HAVE THE VIDEO OF MONTEL SHOW AS I MAY HAVE TAPED OVER SOME OF IT.. LET ME KNOW.. IF YOU COULD GET IT.. thanks
http://www.kidescape.org