Monday, December 26, 2005

I don't wear hemp, okay?

January 3, 2006 will make it 6 years exactly that I've lived in California. For those of you who aren't familiar with the area, I'm in northern California, classic home to liberals and hippies. Just as I will defend those that live in Dallas that don't have an accent, don't wear cowboys boots, and can't stand country music or George Bush, I will defend (albeit less mightily) those that live around here that vote Republican, don't smoke weed and have never participated in a naked protest of the Gap.
But I have become a woman without a state. Here, I'm the plucky, Bible belt Christian that loves Ranch Style Beans (called Texas Style Beans here) and Dr. Pepper. But to those in Texas I'm seen as, what my mom calls a "Granola."
I really don't think I am. I'm sort of in the middle somewhere, but I'll give you both sides:

10 reasons I am a "Granola"
1. If they make it "Organic", I'll buy it (I'm the chemical police).
2. I use cloth diapers.
3. I drive a compact car that gets 30MPG.
4. I have lived in Santa Cruz, CA
5. I try not to wear shoes if possible. If not, I wear sandals.
6. I and my baby get very few vaccinations.
7. I go to a Chiropractor.
8. I did Bradley Classes
9. I think that our gov't, no matter who's in charge, is sneaky and underhanded.
10. I'm a recycling fiend!

10 reasons I am not a "Granola"
1. I'm registered as an "Independent" voter.
2. I like Martha Stewart (not that weird appretice thing though)
3. I'm an omnivore.
4. I go to "Big Box" stores (especially Target)
5. I have no desire to live in the country.
6. I've never done any drugs.
7. I had to leave Santa Cruz because it was too quaint for me.
8. I am fully willing to wear uncomofortable clothes and shoes, and spend hours on my hair and makeup to look fashionable.
9. I've never picketed for anything.
10. I don't like camping.

All this leads up this weeks pre-Baby Tuesday photos.
I set her up to look like a little "Santa Cruz baby." The t-shirt and tie-dye socks are courtesy of Aunite Sandi (it reads "Organically Growing"). She's also sporting hawaiian print pants and a woodsie looking sweater. I accessorized with a plush homeless bum and sea lion, both critical elements of Santa Cruz.




Okay, the bandana is more of a Texas thing (shout out to Auntie Dianne in Plano, TX for giving it to her!)

4 comments:

Sam said...

Um...that "Homeless Man" looks oddly like the guy from Harry Potter...hmm....

Charlie said...

It is. Theres a story to him. Befire I knew anything about the Harry Potter stories Kevin and I were walking around in a bookstore in Santa Cruz when I still lived there. I joked that when I moved out of the town I would ned a little plush bum to remind me of all the bums that hang around and hassle everyone there. I picked up that doll not knowing it was a Potter character, as I was saying it. Later when I moved to San Jose,Kevin remembered and bought him for me. :)

laura said...

hilarious. cricket looks great! camping is for the birds.

Unknown said...

I didn't know Ranch Style Beans were aka Texas Style Beans. Interesting. The pictures are very funny. I love the Santa Cruz theme. I ABSOLUTELY love that hat of hers. I've got to find one for Scout.