Thursday, February 01, 2007

it really exists



I'm usually careful to say flatly "I like country music" because there is alot of terrible terrible country music out there. And most of it is "popular" so when I say I like country, I only like a certain slice of it. (I have similiar sentiment for dogs and children, actually)

And until I visited Big D last month, I didn't know that others enjoyed this specific category and that there is actually a radio station dedicated to it.

They call it "Hard Country" I'll use that term from now on.

Here's a sample of what they play:
Jeffrey Foucault: Ghost Repeater
Randy Rogers: Kiss Me in The Dark
Johnny Cash: God's Gonna Cut You Down
Radny Foster: Half of My Mistake
The Elms: Black Peach
Solomon Burke: Aint Got You
Pat Green: Way Back Texas
Ray Wylie Hubbard: Rabbit
Todd Snider: Looking for A Job

They throw in a little old school soul, a little underground christian and a dash of Johnny Cash. I'm smitten.

2 comments:

Tab said...

I remember KHYI, from back in the days, was Y95 and competed with KISS-FM (106.1) in contemporay/pop from the mid- to late-80's.
Then, I remember hearing it being "Sunny 95" (not sure if the Sunny part is the correct spelling), but I have no idea the timeframe on that.

Unknown said...

Great Station!! Great Post! The Range is undeniable.