Friday, November 24, 2006

santie claus, why are you taking our christmas tree?

Normally the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we drive up (way way way up) into the Santa Cruz Mountains and cut down our own tree from this specific tree farm.
Last year, as many of you recall it was disasterous in regards to Baby C. Really bad. Screaming, lots of screaming.

So this year I have two "action items":

-Do we go to far far away tree farm with the baby again, only to be maddened by her crying on the way up and down?
-Or do we buy one from a tree lot (the Dallas way! :) ) and bring her with us?
-Or have Sam watch the baby while we go cut the tree down?

Your opinion is welcome, but if it's not the second choice, I'm gonna need good reasons.

Also!

If there's anything the baby loves more than touching/mangling trees, it's touching/mangling sparkley things. I asked a mom in the MOPS meeting what she did with the tree with her daughter when she was a toddler. She said that they said "no!" alot.
I suggest getting a really really short one and putting it up on a box about 3 feet so she can't run full force into it with her famous grabby hands.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say take the baby with you and create a great memory for her to have of her childhood. Of course, I say this becuse I have no children of my own.
Also, have you considered an upside down tree? One that you hang from your ceiling? Works great in small spaces - doesn't take up any floor space and out of reach of little hands that grab.
Just a thought.
Kamie

Sam said...

I say Hanukkah bush from the lot! They smell just as good and have ALREADY been taken from the forest.

But, should you choose option #3, I'm always up for watching the bug...unless I'm in Tucson. :)

Anonymous said...

so, what did you do? i need tips on the tree + baby. I'm pretty worried that our tree is going to be destroyed.

Mrs. H said...

We just set up the tree today and I'm looking for the toddler tips. Saying "no touch" a lot sounds sucky.
And for what it's worth, I say take a trip without the little one. Alone time is always good!

G$ said...

Apparently you NEW moms need a little help: Time is short so just go buy the tree for goodness sake. Take Cricket with you if you like. Unfortunately parents have to say no to kids and this is one instance. You can sit by the tree & help them "look" at it otherwise unwelcome "yanking" at branches and tearing of packages must be met with a firm NO. Trust me, they won't be traumatized for life. This is just the first of many no's and having to be "unpopular" with your kids. Hope this tip helps. Mom

Anonymous said...

upside down trees suck! Rich