Saturday, November 18, 2006

success!

I'll give solid details later, but the Beautiful Day projects went great!
All of my (and everyone else's) effort paid off.
We drove around most the day dropping things off, buying more things, coordinating drop offs and making sure all the doodads went where they're supposed to. And at each of the 6 sites, there was some major action going on by our trusty volunteers.
We took a break to go to a birthday party at Jenna's house. Which was good for poor little Cricket who was strapped in the backseat most of the day, covered in bits of appeasement animal crackers.
I drove back just in time to see the "presentation" part of Juanita's House (the amputee with osteoporosis and diabetes who's garage burnt down and had no wheelchair ramp, etc.)
There was much crying.
She and her daughter were so happy. We hauled away two huge dumpsters full of debris, repaved their driveway, built a brand new two car garage and landscaped both front and back. Not to mention getting them a wheelchair lift, and tickets to dinner and the ballet in a limo, and repairing both of their broken cars.
I'm glad I was there for that, it made it all worth it to see how much it meant to them.
Go team Westgate!

bonus anecdote: Kevin was assigned to another house in which he had to remove a very very old freezer and a very very old fridge from this old pack-rat widow's garage (the garage was in the purest sense FULL!). He said that the freezer door was frozen shut with solid ice and had food in it from 1985! They had to heave it (creatively) to the curb to melt so they can haul it away.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey I think I know the lady you are referring to. Is she a little filipino lady? Don't want to say her name. But I helped her with her gutters when I was attending westgate.

Charlie said...

No, that's a different lady, but I know who you are talking about.
This lady is Italian-American (I know because she's always wearing a sweatshirt that says so).