Monday, August 28, 2006

if this were 50 years ago, it would be totally normal





A few years back I was wasting time watching some random 60's teen beach movie and in the particular scene, this girl comes home from her date and takes off her wig. She puts it neatly on its stand next to another wig on her dressing table, both blonde wigs and pretty similar to her actual hair.

And I was amazed.

What a great idea! Pre-done hair, as thick as you can afford, never needs re-dying and unless someone spills a slurpee on your head- no shampooing.

Brilliant.

Ever since then I've wanted a wig or two. I would use them just like the actress in the movie. They would be sorta like my hair but better for when I was short on time, or hair. But I would never go into a creepy wig shop.

Ebay, however is much less creepy.
Unless of course, maniquin heads scare you.

So over the past couple of years, I've clicked around for hours looking at the various wigs from around the world.
But I can't commit to buying one. Especially when I'm pretty sure everyone would make fun of me, because it's not socially acceptable to wear a wig unless you're on chemo or from Sudan.

But I still want one...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no, no, no, no...too creepy (not knowing where they came from, could be carrying some kind of mites, bugs, etc.)
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Yeah first of all you do have to wash them. How gross are you that you want hair thats never been washed. If you spent any time in a good wig shop you'd know they sell special shampoo just for wigs although Suave works fine. Also why exactly isn't it socially acceptable to wear a wig unless you've had Cancer. To me that statement is socially unacceptable. I have 10 wigs which are nothing like my real hair and I haven't had Cancer so does that make me immoral in some way to want nice hair I have no trouble brushing? I see nothing abnormal about wearing a good wig since no one should be able to tell anyway. Are you really that insecure of what people will think of you?