Monday, August 07, 2006

"let's motor"

Ever since the idea of having a baby (the first one) came up, the idea of getting a different car has always been on the table.
My pompous American attitude in the very beginning was "no way am I driving our baby in my Civic coupe with no A/C!"
Then the baby came along about a year before our budget would allow for another car.
And yes, I drive her around in it, and it's not a big deal. (If it's the middle of a heat wave, K drives the hot tamale to work.)
But two babies? Two car seats? Two door car?
Eeek.

Circumstances regarding our current cars leads us to want to replace both of them.
Ideally, one commuter, and one family size.

Which to buy first?
You'd think family, but the Audi has 4 doors and A/C, which will suit me just fine for a few years.
So we'll replace the Civic with a new commuter for him.


Okay then we narrow it down more:

1. Not more than 25K
2. Used
3. Gas milage at around 25/30 mpg
4. Really low emissions
5. Really good safety ratings

What did Edmunds.com and FuelEconomy.gov lead me to?



A MINI.

He's not sold on it yet. But I do love them. I always look to see who's driving them.


In the meantime I can't help searching for the family vehicle of my future.

Of course, as I blogged about before, I would love an FJ Cruiser, but after seeing how eensy the backseat is, and that it doesn't have a 3rd row option, FJ got dumped.
Honda Element? No, it only seats 4.
VW Touareg? No, too $$ and bad mpg.
Volvo? Too $$
etc
etc
etc

You know what I narrowed my search down to?



A RAV4!

I'm a little embarrassed to say it. But with the 3rd row option, it meets all the requirements. It would have to be black, with nice wheels to make up for it's limp wrists. However, I am a girl. I do have vanity plates with hearts and flowers on it, I might as well have a RAV4 and go whole hog.

In the meantime, go MINI!

No comments: