Wednesday, August 09, 2006

what does this accomplish?

I can't buy the same design of bank checks twice. It's like always getting the same flavor ice cream, there's no adventure to it.

So as I'm browsing the many options of personalized checks, I notice there are many Christian designs. Nice ones with verses, cute little babies, sunsets and cartoon crosses. All fine. (I used to have some that had verses on them, when I was single, they were very girly.)
And then I come across these:



It says on the page "Everyone loves a cartoon, but these messages are no laughing matter..." And you can even buy a "Thou shall not kill" embossed leather checkbook cover.

What?!

Good heavens!

Ok, listen.
How I (or any other stranger) personally feel about abortion doesn't make a bit of difference to someone who's actually considering doing it.
Furthermore, is anyone going to see your check to the phone company and think "ha, you're right John Q Citizen! Those Planned Parenthood people, they're a bunch of buffoons!"
No.

I didn't see any "save the people of Sudan!" checks or "pass a living wage bill!" checks. Thank goodness there weren't any Pro-heterosexual cartoon checks.

Let's just stick to our Bible verses, and landscapes, can we?




p.s. On our drive back from Tahoe, we saw a high school athletics sticker on the back on SUV that said "Jesuit Marauders"... Um, I'm thinking that any faith-based school should not use a mascot who's defined as "someone who attacks in search of booty."
I'm just sayin'.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

um, let's chalk that check design up as one more reason why you should be paying your bills online. "Hi 2006, meet Charlie."

Anonymous said...

I agree. Most of the other designs on that site are what I kind of imagine the funky cat lady christians would use too. You know, the one lady that has like 12 cats and pictures of angels all over her apartment?

I personally went to a Jesuit Highschool and appreciated being called the "Raiders". Somehow it's more fear instilling then the Dolphins... Maybe that's why Miami sucks and Tampa Bay is a better team...