Thursday, August 24, 2006

you can only have microwave meatballs so many times

We have no oven or stove.
I'm not sure if everyone knew that, but we don't.
It is indeed the very last step in our kitchen renovation.
Kevin is rebuilding (much like you would an old car) an old Chambers stove that we pulled from a dank San Franicsco basesment for $100, two years ago.
It is incredibly heavy because it's mostly made of cast iron, and I have affectionately named it the Lusitania.
We learned that Rachel Ray uses our stove on her cooking shows. And if you've seen her use that freaky flame throwing broiler, you'll remember it.

Anyway, Kevin's still working on it. It was basicly a bucket of rust when we got it, so it's a long-termer and I knew that from the beginning. I hated our old electric one so much that I had them throw it out during demolition. I was willing to not have a stove at all for a while than look at that piece of crap any longer.

But man, it's hard to cook anything decent without a stove/oven.
Here is what I can make:

Salads
Fajitas (single burner hot plate)
Nachos (in microwave)
steaks (george forman)
corn dogs (deep fryer)

And that's about it. I can only boil water in the tiniest pot we have, because that's all the hot plate can muster. So I guess I can add to the list: deviled eggs, about 3 at a time, and two servings of pasta.

Now I'm currently looking up camping recipes because I think I might be able to do those...mmm smores for dinner...

3 comments:

Sam said...

Do you have a coffee maker? I have an entire cookbook devoted to making full meals in a coffee maker (from my dorm days)...would you like to give that a try?

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I love Rachael Ray...I mean her stove. No seriously that is a cool stove my wife and I always end up talking about it when we watch 30 minute meals.

G$ said...

Just give it up! Go get a nice new stainless steel gas 6 burner will ya. The project in the garage could take who knows how long. Do you want Cricket to be scarred for life eating micro food?