Thursday, August 10, 2006

nothing ruffles feathers like baby names

We're not going to be as secretive with the second baby's name as we were with baby C. People know what to expect from us now, so I didn't see any reason to put it on the Q.T.
However, I will wait until we know boy or girl to blog what the name will be. Sorry, folks, gotta wait until November.

The boy's name is already picked out from last time. That's wrapped up and sealed, it doesn't get any better.

The girl's is still very much up for debate. We didn't have a definite #2 choice from last time. What did happen last time was that we tried to give baby C a middle name that started with the letter A, so that she would have the same initials as me. We gave up on that because it was a standstill on either side of the battlefield.
I wanted Abilene
and he wanted Adenine.

He was abhorred because mine was a city in Texas.
I was abhorred because his was an organic molecule.

So we went with Fairlane instead and her initials don't spell a word and I'm okay with that.

But now! Kevin still wants to name our second daughter Adenine. Like, as in a first name.
I hate it and these are my reasons why.

#1. People will say "huh?"
Just like with my name, people aren't ready for a odd word. Baby C's name, everyone knows that word. They might make a face because they're surprised, but they won't mispronouce it.

#2. It's nerdy, and not the good kind.
I like the name Linus. I like the name Pascal/Pascale. Those are names that are cool that also happen to be science references. I'm okay with that. Thayers are scientists, I accept that. But no molecule names!

He's quite upset about my veto on this. So I told him I'd blog it and see what other people think. So all of you that never comment, you better comment! Vote vote vote!

not good.

p.s. My name that I really liked that he hates is "Tuesday". But I accept the veto. That's the way this deal works.

12 comments:

Sam said...

Dude...I'm sorry...but I am against Adenine. I may be 100% biased b/c I hate molecular bio...but it's hard to say, hard to spell. Can you imagine a 2 year old trying to say that is her name? Or other 2 year olds?

elasticwaistbandlady said...

What about Adeline? It's close to Adenine, a real name, and much prettier?

Look, I hang out at a place that will absolutely crack you up. Read the cover page and then join the forum. It is snark and biting wit galore over there intersperced with some of the funniest baby name bickering.

Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing

Lucy said...

It sounds like adenoid. No.

My girl name I loved during our last pregnancy was Matilda, nickname Tildy. My husband was appalled. I still love it.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I'd like Adenine over Tuesday. Tuesday just reminds me of the desperate chick from Get Smart. I'd say it's a mixed bag between Adenine and Abilene though. Given the choice I'd go with Abilene, though she'll probably get called Abby.

laura said...

i already know baby boy's name...nanny nanny boo boo. :)

i LOVE the name tuesday. tuesday weld?!?! hello! kevin?!? that name rules.

adenine~sounds like adenoids. i'm against it too.

A. Diabetic Person said...

Kevin, as much as I normall hate doing this, I'm going to have to side with the majority here.

Adenine: a word someone says when they have a cold and are trying to pronounce your baby's name.

Abeline is cute, but there's nothing in Abeline except a lot of cows and people with Texas accents.

I'm also uncomfortable with a name that has the word "day" in it. I'm not sure whether it's a Rolling Stones reference that gets me, or the fact that it reminds me of The Adams Family for some reason, or the Get Smart thing. That is my own personal opinion.

But you didn't ask my opinion on that, so I'll just shove it.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for Abilene -- in fact I like a lot of (Texas) city names (Addison, etc)... but Abilene is very unusual and your "Texas people" would think it's grand. So do you like initials that make a word (i.e. Cricket Abilene Thayer??) To sum it up, I think any name you pick will be perfect! (except Adenine! Sorry Kevin!)
Dianne

Unknown said...

DUDE! I have ALWAYS wanted to name a baby girl Tuesday! But Brandon has already vetoed that, and we don't even have any reason to be talking about it yet.

As for Adenine... I guess you should be thankful he didn't pick Uracil.

I vote no.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to admit this, but when I teach DNA to my students I actually tell them the story about you guys considering the name adenine. The kids are all like, "WHAT?!" So, basically adenine as a child's name makes a good biology story. Plus, if you have twins, would you feel pressured to go with thymine? For what it is worth, Abeline is suprisingly a good name. Props for thinking of it. I hadn't.

Unknown said...

and to be fair, tuesday is no bueno. sorry charlie.

KAI said...

Maybeline, Maybeline! Sorry, I'm not too thrilled about Adenine.. It sounds like a little old gray haired lady that screams at kids that walk across her lawn. Tuesday, hmmm.. first off it reminded me of the Adamms Family. I found the hardest were boy names, but you seem to already have that one in the bag!

G$ said...

EARTH TO THAYERS..EARTH TO THAYERS..Adenine sucks even if it didn't have any meaning. I'm all for pushing the envelope, but let's not get carried away just to be different. I mean the kid still has to use that name ya know. Try to come up with something between Anne and Zulu.